This is a great activity for water trays in pre-school settings but works even better outside, if you are in a cold climate set up a water tray outside and let nature do its work.
Other Ideas and Questions to ask Children
- Add colour to the ice using food colouring or bath colours. Using a dark colour so the children have to guess what is hidden in the ice.
- Put a small amount of warm water into the tray. Add the coloured ice. What happens to the water? What happens to the ice.
- Sprinkle glitter into water – leave it in the freezer or outside overnight. What happens when it melts?
- You are not allowed to bash the ice, how else could you get the animals out?
- Can you find any more ice in the garden?
- What would happen if we froze a leaf or berries? If we hang them from a tree how long will they take to melt? What happens when they are melting?
- The ice sticks to your gloves, what else will it stick to? Why does it only stick to some things?